PDA

View Full Version : Reviews (Suggestions wanted!)

PenguinNerd
04-08-2011, 09:09 AM
If you've read the sticky in this arcade forum you'll know that I'll be searching the internet for new flash games to add, reviewing them and putting together tournaments later on. Before I started doing the reviews however I wanted feedback from the community here to make sure that I hit all the notes people are looking for in a flash game. While most flash games are very simplistic and there's not much to actually talk about for me there are always a few features that make me happy.

Mute button: Often times I like music in flash games but usually I'm browsing around with music already playing or listening to a podcast. If a game has a mute button that's a huge plus for me.
Addictive
High Scores
Simple to play

I wanted to get some feedback as to what you guys would like to see touched on in each review AND the scoring system. I'm not usually a fan of scoring reviews but typically I like to use an 'out of 5' review system in the interest of keeping things simple. So any input on that front as well is welcome.

Basically this thread is just so I can figure out what the community wants which in turn will help structure reviews in the best way possible.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

As far as the scoring system goes as mentioned I prefer out of 5. So maybe 'out of 5 CyberStars' or something of that sort?

zdaddy
04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I like that idea! I will add that to the list of images that need to be created. A set of images of a row of 5 stars. Or maybe how bout this. Since a star has 5 points, each point could represent a rating point. So maybe a set of images that you'd pick from for the rating image. Each image would have a different number of the points solid vs hollow.
Or a large Star with a hollow star at each point. For zero star rating, all the little stars would be hollow. Then for each rating point, one of the stars would be filled in.

Just thinking out lout here. I think that might be something to use for the forum in general, that people could rate videos, using this set of rating images... hmmm.

If I don't get a volunteer soon for the image work, I will have to tackle it myself. It will really spruce up the forum appearance.

PenguinNerd
04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
I think I could possibly whip up that Star rating graphic you're talking about. That's actually a really good idea. I saw your thread about the graphics for the rest of the forum and I'm not sure if I'd have the time to do all of those (plus I'm sure someone could do much better :P) but I have an image in my head of how that 5 pt Star would look so I'll give it a try a little later tonight.

zdaddy
04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
sounds good.

I was thinking something like this but in solid yellow, without the outer circle, and with little yellow stars in place of the little circles. There would be 6 images: one with all hollow little stars, one with one filled in, one with two filled, etc.

Image sizes maybe about 100px square. transparent png's. the little stars would be maybe 1/3 the size of the main star? not sure on that ratio- would have to play around to see what looks best.

Then I'd add it as a special group of 'smilies' that could be added to any post. Down the road I'm sure a mod could be created that would let you rate from 0-5 and it would automatically pull the approprate image.

Thomas
04-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Not a lot to talk about?

Introduction
Background
Language Written In
Who Created It
What the game aims to achieves
The Goal

The Game's Splash Screen
The Game's Menu System
The Game's UI
The Game's difficulty (from all aspects)
The use of colour, design and feel
How it has all been brought together
What else is similar?
What the game leads onto

That can be at least a paragraph each? Haven't even gone onto how they can then be broken up into... ;)

PS: If you ever need someone to actually write a review I will be more then happy to!

PenguinNerd
04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Not a lot to talk about?

Introduction
Background
Language Written In
Who Created It
What the game aims to achieves
The Goal

The Game's Splash Screen
The Game's Menu System
The Game's UI
The Game's difficulty (from all aspects)
The use of colour, design and feel
How it has all been brought together
What else is similar?
What the game leads onto

That can be at least a paragraph each? Haven't even gone onto how they can then be broken up into... ;)

PS: If you ever need someone to actually write a review I will be more then happy to!

The highlighted I'll be adding to the top portion of the game review threads.

It's true there can be a lot to discuss and the things you brought up are totally viable topics. I'll keep those in mind. Most of the games I had played so far on the site that we can install from were super simple though. So my mind was kind of narrowed back down to that view of super simple flash games. :P Though naturally something like Super Meat Boy would be a totally different beast to review.

If you ever find a flash game you'd like to see added to the site and want to review it then you're more than welcome to! :D

Thomas
04-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Name me the simplest game you know of: I shall use my template to prove to you that there is always something else to say ;)

PenguinNerd
04-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Oh I'm not denying it lol. I've got to get used to thinking about reviews in regards to flash games. I'm used to reviewing games that are much larger and complex so I need to just change my perspective when playing flash games. :P

zdaddy
04-15-2011, 03:25 AM
We can probably install flash games from other sources as well! :)

zdaddy
04-16-2011, 08:13 AM
I have installed a version of the classic 'tower defense' game! I almost survived in my first attempt... (on easy, lol)

Thomas
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
i have installed a version of the classic 'tower defense' game! I almost survived in my first attempt... (on easy, lol)

i love that game!! :D

Edit: My latest high scrow as 1200 on easy. :D

PenguinNerd
04-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Oh cool, I love tower defense. I guess I'll have to go get the high score for that. ;)