PDA

View Full Version : Board Theme

zdaddy
03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
I have been thinking a lot about the overall board theme for CyberStars Forum, following Thomas' comments. For those of you unfamiliar with forums, there are a zillion customizations available for the basic forum software. I've installed a custom 'theme' package called 'Black Pearl'.
To get a flavor for what the default theme looks like, you can go into your control panel and select 'board preferences' and then choose the style 'prosilver' instead of 'black pearl'.

The different themes change the colors, location of buttons & tabs, icons, etc. Basically, a whole lot of 'look & feel' type things, without changing the actual functionality of the forum.

Some themes are dark background with light colored text, and some are light background with dark text. I spent quite a few hours the week before I launched the forum looking over themes and trying them out.
In the end, the reason I went with the dark background is I think it evokes a bit of a 'theater' feel to it- that is, in a theater, the background and everything is dark, and the action is lit up. In the case of the forum, the 'action' is the words and pictures.

But, that said, it's fairly simple to change themes, and if people prefer, I could find a lighter forum theme. Let me know what you think. I'll put up a poll for a few weeks before making a decision.
If you have seen a theme package that you like, let me know what it is and I'll check it out.

Z

Thomas
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
The problem I have with this theme, Is that the colours onto the background don't really go.

I am someone that likes to post in a colour each and everytime i do, Some of you may have seen me try this yellow and this blue but both don't sit well within the style. My next might be to try a pink

Now, If you can't mix it up with colour, Its alomost a bit drab, and thus i thinka style that allows a user to use a great number of colours increases it.

Themes have more powers then just what you look at on the screen, You also have to think about all the areas they effect. :)

PS: I want an icecream sandwich two!

zdaddy
03-02-2011, 03:30 AM
Now see, I like your yellow and turquoise against the black. Even better than the default off-white text. I'm just too lazy to swich colors when I post, unless I'm trying to highlight things or something.

milkdudz
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
i voted fo the black but id also like to get the icecream please!

zdaddy
03-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Guys I am going to have a major overhaul of the forum coming up sometime in the next week or so. I will be converting to a new forum software (vbulletin) and therefore there will be a new theme. If there's a cool vb theme you want to suggest feel free.

I will announce the conversion at least a day in advance- I'm not sure how long the forum will be down for- hopefully no more than an hour or so.

Z