PDA

View Full Version : A new idea- personal channel forums

zdaddy
02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
I've sort of positioned this forum towards the newer users- the youtubers who are just starting out. Providing a place to promote themselves, and exchange ideas and so forth.

But I don't want it to be exclusively for newbies- so, it occurred to me that we might also be able to offer something of additional value to those who have already built up a larger following- not necessarily the megastars who have hundreds of thousands of fans- but for the ones who have started to get a lot of channel or video feedback... say in the several hundred to several thousand subscriber range. Of course larger channels would be welcome too.

What I'm thinking about is providing a custom personalized sub-forum for anyone who has a growing fanbase, and who would like to provide a more robust discussion forum for their fans to talk with them and each other. The youtube "comments" functionality is extremely limited compared to a forum like this. I realize sure many youtubers may not be inclined to want to spend a lot of time chatting with their fans... but, some just might... and this would be an easy, free way for them to do that.

They would get to name it whatever they want, be the 'moderator', make their own rules, and basically run their own forum right inside CyberStars, and talk about whatever they want to with their fans. I'd work with them to get it all set up, and then they'd just announce it to their fans on their channel or in a video, and it would be open for business.

If you're a youtube channel in this category and are interested in this, email me (zdaddy at cyberstarforum.com) or PM me on here and we can talk about what we can do for you.

Z

Thomas
02-27-2011, 02:11 AM
That sounds like a very good idea, However implermenting that into phpBB3 would be interesting considering that if you set anyone onto being a moderator of anything they go into the Team (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=leaders) page.... Unless the group was called something like "Personal Publicist" or something silly like that, So everyone knows that that group just means that they have their own section.....

Its interesting and making my head explode with ideas....

Please tell me if you implement this.

zdaddy
02-27-2011, 06:11 AM
That sounds like a very good idea, However implermenting that into phpBB3 would be interesting considering that if you set anyone onto being a moderator of anything they go into the Team (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=leaders) page.... Unless the group was called something like "Personal Publicist" or something silly like that, So everyone knows that that group just means that they have their own section.....

Its interesting and making my head explode with ideas....

Please tell me if you implement this.

Ehhh well we don't want no exploding heads.... but I believe it will work out pretty well. PHPBB3 allows you to set an individual user as a moderator for just a single forum or set of subforums. They don't have to be placed into the 'global moderator' group, or any special group, for that matter. Although we probably would create a special group for them, just for communication purposes, or if there's a need to have a special subforum just for the people who run their own Personal Channel Forums. Ie, a forum for just the moderators, then having them all in a group would be helpful.

And yes, all the Personal Channel Forum moderators would show up as part of the 'team', on the team page, but they would only have mod rights within their own section.

So anyway, I would be happy to work with you to try this out if it's something you're interested in.

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

Z

Thomas
02-27-2011, 11:21 AM
You could, even create a "Group" for each new, Set them the leader of that group, make it an... forgot what its called in the ACP, But the one where the Leader manages it,

That would give them free rein over their boards, as well as getting new members into it if they thought they needed them.....

Its a very interesting idea

zdaddy
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes, a group for each Personal Channel forum is also easy to set up. People could join whichever PCF groups they wanted to, with the owner being the group leader.

Another feature that is missing in youtube is the ability to put up polls for your fans to vote on things. I've heard them ask their viewers in a video to vote on something by making comments, which seems like a pretty poor substitute for an actual poll, which is built into this forum software... so polls would definitely be another benefit.