PDA

View Full Version : Forum ideas and suggestions

zdaddy
01-27-2011, 03:03 AM
If you have any suggestions for improving the forum, post them here!

On tap soon-
a mod to open external links in a new window. For a forum that by its very nature encourages linking, this seems like a no-brainer.

ranks! There will definitely be ranks. I have some ideas for ranks, but will certainly open it up to suggestions.

a logo in the header- already designed- I just need to set aside some time to get it into the template.

zdaddy
01-30-2011, 03:24 AM
alright- I think I have the mod installed to open external links in a new browser window. Please let me know if you experience any issues.

Z

zdaddy
01-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Got the new logo uploaded. Not sure if it's too big or not.
Next thing is a URL icon! :D

Thomas
02-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Here are a few of my suggestions:
This theme for this, Is just... well, Its not nice. Mainly I dislike it because you can try as a many different colours s you like, But they just don't seem to fit together well. Be it the background colour, Or just me being picky, Its not nice.[/*:m:17v52kzb]
Currently a little bug where if you have 0 private messages the 0 is below or sub strike or something strange... looking at the source on my end, the only thing I could say that does that would be the [b][b] tag due to it having something else defined in the css or html markup.[/*:m:17v52kzb]
If you dislike the first suggestion, Any chance on letting us view a message using the phpBB3 default style? Pretty please![/*:m:17v52kzb]
Personal forums, I would add onto a different forum. Make it a category (Or atleast not allow it to have posts)[/*:m:17v52kzb]
Tango (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=54) looks a little silly having their name their, an no color.
I would suggest the following:
[list:17v52kzb] 1 Group called maybe "PF Owner" where all PF Owners would be able to define them that they have made it big on their own, Or least trying to run a project.[/*:m:17v52kzb]
1 Group for each PF with the PF Owner as the Leader. This being the "Mod" Group of that forum and called "XXXX Team", where XXXX is the Projects Name.[/*:m:17v52kzb][/*:m:17v52kzb]
Its also a little unclear on the whole Private Forum thing. You have added one, But i beleive that a lot more work and work is needed to be done.
Rules (Mods are not across forum, simply inside their, No way part of the staff, all posts must abide to site rules, and any rules set by Project Leader..... just a few off the top of my head)[/*:m:17v52kzb]
How their going to manage their forum...[/*:m:17v52kzb]
How users sign up for one...[/*:m:17v52kzb]
And so forth. [/*:m:17v52kzb][/*:m:17v52kzb][/list:u:17v52kzb]

Just my little (well it turned out big) list of suggestions.

zdaddy
02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
This theme for this, Is just... well, Its not nice. Mainly I dislike it because you can try as a many different colours s you like, But they just don't seem to fit together well. Be it the background colour, Or just me being picky, Its not nice.[/*:m:1pl3fjaq]
Currently a little bug where if you have 0 private messages the 0 is below or sub strike or something strange... looking at the source on my end, the only thing I could say that does that would be the [b][b] tag due to it having something else defined in the css or html markup.[/*:m:1pl3fjaq]
If you dislike the first suggestion, Any chance on letting us view a message using the phpBB3 default style? Pretty please![/*:m:1pl3fjaq]

I have a few questions about your questions... :)

I do have the option set that allows a user to choose their own style, and see the board that way. At the moment I only have prosilver and black pearl installed. I could certainly install others that people recommend. When I was searching for a good theme, many that I liked were not yet upgraded for the latest version of phpbb (3.0.8)

I'm not following your comment about choosing your own colors tho? Are you talking about the font colors when you're writing a post? Or something else?

I also do not see the same thing as you're reporting with the "0 private messages". I am running IE, and have tested it at various %magnifications, and it seems pretty good. Can you expand a bit on that issue?

Z

Thomas
02-28-2011, 12:56 AM
I have a few questions about your questions... :)

I do have the option set that allows a user to choose their own style, and see the board that way. At the moment I only have prosilver and black pearl installed. I could certainly install others that people recommend. When I was searching for a good theme, many that I liked were not yet upgraded for the latest version of phpbb (3.0.8)
The problem with using many different styles, would mean that you would need to run support for them.

At the end of the day through, This is a style that was made by someone else and released freely, lots of other forums probably use this style. :) Might want to think about investing into a new style created by someone, I am sure you can find someone bored wanting some money or someone that might just want to do it for the fun of doing it.

The other problem with enabling differnt styles would be post colors.
Yellow looks okay on this background, But however it won't if the background was light (like in the phpbb3 default)...

I'm not following your comment about choosing your own colors tho? Are you talking about the font colors when you're writing a post? Or something else?
I was thinking group colors actually, proper groups like this (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=4)and this (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=group&g=5).

I also do not see the same thing as you're reporting with the "0 private messages". I am running IE, and have tested it at various %magnifications, and it seems pretty good. Can you expand a bit on that issue?

Z
How about a screen shot?
http://i54.tinypic.com/io2gxx.png

zdaddy
02-28-2011, 04:41 AM
well I wasn't sayin I didn't believe ya- I was just sayin it didn't do that for me! :D

That is very odd indeed. I'm using IE8 and don't see that issue. I will check from my work computer tomorrow to see how it looks. I would be interested to hear if anyone else sees that little glitch?
The only think I've done in the header is put in a custom logo... it was larger than the original one that came with this theme, so perhaps that is slightly too large and is causing some anomalies on your browser...

I do think you have a good point about using the light fonts and not being able to see them well on a theme with a light background. However I don't care for the default prosilver. I really prefer a custom theme- it just looks more professional than the default. I hadn't thought about a custom designed skin... If this site gets big enough I might look into that..

You are just full of good ideas! Maybe you should think about getting on youtube with all that creativity lol!

zdaddy
02-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Personal forums, I would add onto a different forum. Make it a category (Or atleast not allow it to have posts)[/*:m:3otws5do]
Tango (http://www.cyberstarforum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=54) looks a little silly having their name their, an no color.
I would suggest the following:
[list:3otws5do] 1 Group called maybe "PF Owner" where all PF Owners would be able to define them that they have made it big on their own, Or least trying to run a project.[/*:m:3otws5do]
1 Group for each PF with the PF Owner as the Leader. This being the "Mod" Group of that forum and called "XXXX Team", where XXXX is the Projects Name.[/*:m:3otws5do][/*:m:3otws5do]
Its also a little unclear on the whole Private Forum thing. You have added one, But i beleive that a lot more work and work is needed to be done.
Rules (Mods are not across forum, simply inside their, No way part of the staff, all posts must abide to site rules, and any rules set by Project Leader..... just a few off the top of my head)[/*:m:3otws5do]
How their going to manage their forum...[/*:m:3otws5do]
How users sign up for one...[/*:m:3otws5do]
And so forth. [/*:m:3otws5do][/*:m:3otws5do][/list:u:3otws5do]

The Personal Forums is a category (ie, no posting directly there), and then each channel owner would have their personal forum in that category, such as the Sample Personal Forum, that they would name whatever they wanted.

I can definitely see having a group for each Personal Channel Forum, that any forum member could join, with the leader being the PCF 'owner', as well as a special group just for all the PCF owners.

You're right, there would definitely be rules and all that stuff, but I don't want to lay too much of it down in concrete until I get the first one. If someone is interested in this service, then I'd work with them and evolve a set of rules and features that work for them, always subject to the final decision of CyberStars of course.

I'm going to think about how to market this service out to youtube channels.
Z